IBD, as with any chronic illness, can bring a person down. Between the gut pain, joint pain, butt pain, etc. a person can get really depressed. I know, I have been there. So one way to get out of the funk I have found is to listen to music. But not just any music. It is what I call Mood Music. This would be songs that help you relate to the world, songs that get you into a good mood. Lately I have been listening to the same couple of songs on my computer. I have been doing a lot of talking with fellow IBDers online and these songs keep popping into my head. So I want to share a little of what has been getting me motivated and moving lately. Be Warned…some of the songs are cheesy..but they help.
So here is a short list of the songs I am listening to right now and why I have chosen to listen to them.
1) Inside Job by Pearl Jam. – This song was written by Mike McCready about his experience with Crohn’s Disease. I love Pearl Jam but have never listened to this song before. I never got into their late 90′s and 2000 songs. I regret that now because this song is really good.
2) Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson – Ok, this is cheesy. But I have been reading lately a lot about people with IBD and how hard it is to have a relationship. This just reminds me of how hard it is just to meet someone when you are sick with a disease.
3) What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction – So many people feel ugly with Crohn’s and Colitis. They have so much pain at times that they don’t want to beautify themselves. Then when they look in the mirror all they see are the scars of the disease. But everyone….EVERYONE is beautiful. This song just is a reminder of that.
4) Beautiful by Christina Aguilera – This again plays into the previous message. But really listen to the words. This song is about believing you are beautiful no matter what anyone says. This is showing your self-confidence, which all IBDers need.
5) What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger) by Kelly Clarkson – This is just a powerful song that gets you up out of your chair and moving. You are strong and can do anything. These disease make us all stronger. We live through the pain and depression. We go through so much and that just makes us stronger.
So that is just a sampling of my music selection that I have been listening to lately. I would love to hear some suggestions on what to add to that list. I also would love to hear what other people are listening to. Let me know.